Tuesday, September 24, 2013

TEI

After reading about The Text Encoding Initiative I get a better understanding of the origin of text encoding and how it is funded.  What interested me most, however, was more closely related to how text encoding is done and what is necessary when encoding text.  The boring parts of this chapter for me were when Cummings talked about why the TEI came into existence and what the guidelines were all about.  I think I'm starting to understand digital humanities a little better so the reason behind starting text encoding was already partly understood for me.
What did surprise me was that according to TEI guideline number 8, they still encourage funding agencies for support.  I guess it doesn't surprise me they encourage support, but what surprises me is that they need the support, but I guess that's what happens with non- profit organizations.  It's just that the TEI seems to be very helpful and I would think that many organizations involved in the humanities or literature would want to fund a program like this. I think that text encoding could be very cool and possibly a useful tool to have in the workforce.

No comments:

Post a Comment