Tuesday, September 3, 2013

First Impression of Digital Humanities

After reading the three assigned articles from The New York Times 2010 Humanities series I now have a much better grasp on what I think digital humanities are.  They exist because of new technology and people who think efficiently and embrace new things.  The very first thing that I understand from digital humanities is that it is still a relatively new term.  These articles came out in 2010 and each one of them discussed a developing process that could have never happened several years ago, but is now happening through the use of digital technologies.
Another big thing that I have come to understand is that digital humanities have a wide variety of topics.  What I mean by that is in one of the articles it talked about scholars recreating landscapes while in another it talked about the public helping to transcribe papers written long ago.  There are underlying themes in both of these examples since both look to help explain history, and it shows that the digital humanities have a lot to offer.
As my Digital Humanities class continues, I will have a better grasp as to what I might expect in the future and hopefully now I will be even more prepared.

No comments:

Post a Comment